Heritage development involves diverse activities at outdoor and indoor settings, all while helping preserve the past, promoting the present and shaping the future within the Oil Region. You’d be amazed at the various situations where volunteers can be right in the mix of decision-making, service-delivery, and all sorts of publications!
Here are some suggestions of typical volunteer opportunities which arise each year. Many happen at the Oil Region Alliance office in Oil City; others are outdoors at events or historic sites; and still others you can do at home.
If none of the following examples suit you, then call in and we’ll listen to your ideas for volunteer participation by you individually, your family, your club or your company.
- Assembling information packets
- Building preservation, ranging from scraping off old paint to sanding wooden surfaces to installing rehabilitation materials
- Camera skills
- Data entry, such as posting results from questionnaires
- Decorating everything from the interior of the Coal Oil Johnny House to booths at special events
- Editing text; help polish newly written materials; check information for historic accuracy and proper grammar
- Filing, because as we all know, “Blessed are they who file.”
- Garden maintenance, especially the native plant garden and scenic overlooks at the Coal Oil Johnny House
- Grantsmanship; help prepare drafts of grant applications, gather related letters of support, or identify potential funding sources
- Greeting guests and helping provide hospitality for group tours
- Internet research skills
- Inventorying items
- Nominating individuals, companies, groups, properties, etc. for not only awards but also for technical or monetary assistance
- Recruiting guest speakers, educators, other volunteers, and attendees for fund-raising activities
- Repackaging historic photos and negatives into acid-free materials
- Researching information of all sorts; such as potential vendors, genealogies, oil company lineages, and photographs
- Sales of publications, promotional products, raffle tickets, memberships
- Soliciting funds and sponsorships
- Videography skills – helping document project progress, special events, public programs
- Writing text for signs, ads, brochures, interpretive panels